Printing Services

Monday, September 28, 2009

How in the hell do you change this typewriter ribbon? -

For a Smith Corona series quot;Kquot; typewriter? I ve changed it once before, but that was 2 years ago, and I can t remember for the life of me how to do it!

I also have a Smith Corona typewriter , do you have the manual to it ? if not you can go on their web site and request a manual be sure to type in make,model number, serial number . year it was bought etc. I follow my manual to install the regular ribbon amp; the correction ribbon the correction ribbon sets on top of the regular ribbon on mine. it s not hard to change the ribbons. once you get the hang of it.good luck.

What you should have done is not remove the old one until you are ready to replace the ribbon. You just look at the old, as you put in the new. I can t tell you other than to just look at it closely... it s probably more obvious than you think. You should be able to just drop it in, being sure the part of the ribbon that shows slips between the pieces that stick up from the place where you put the cartridge. First, trying to remember here... you need to physically turn to make sure only the black part of the actual ribbon is exposed. The ribbon would only drop in one way.. I believe there s a little hold on one side of the cartridge that should be on the left. (It even amazes me that there is still a need for a typewriter. For me, my pdf files are either fill-inable or editable, I can do clear labels, envelopes, and pretty much anything I need. I ve never wished I still had a typewriter. Clearly, there is a need, or we wouldn t be able to purchase new ribbons for them.)

1. You have to move the switch to pop the daisywheel back (depending on your machine this is usually left of the ribbon platform). 2. Put the ribbon in and make sure the ribbon part is in FRONT of the daisywheel. 3. Gently push daisywheel back into place. Your K series ribbon is very readily available at most any office supply shop; they are still made by Ko-REC-TYPE and other suppliers. Happy typing!

An actual typewriter? They still exist? Have you considered a donation to the Smithsonian?

1 Comments:

  • You have to shift the switch to pop the daisywheel back (depending on your machine this is usually left of the ribbon platform). But your K series ribbon is very readily presented at most any office supply shop; they are still made by Ko-REC-TYPE and other suppliers.

    Good luck.

    -------------------
    Inkjet Printer

    By Blogger Unknown, At December 23, 2009 at 10:49 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home